Incorporation means becoming a legally recognised body. Any organisation that owns goods or land, enters into contracts, holds a liquor license, borrows money or charges fees for non-members to participate should consider becoming incorporated.
- Incorporation means that members are not personally liable for its debts. The club as a legal entity can sue or be sued
- Government and non-government grants are often excluded to incorporated bodies.
- Your club can enter into contracts in its own right, including tenancy or lease agreements
- Your club may own land and other property
- Your club may borrow money and accept gifts and bequests.
Source of further information: www.consumer.vic.gov.au