It is easy for volunteer committees / boards to fall into the trap of doing the "day to day'" business of the organisation particularly when there are no paid employees. The problem with this is that the governance of the organisation can give way to operational tasks e.g. establishing fixtures, organising representative team, ground allocations etc.
The general rule is that day to day, season to season operational matters are tasks for subcommittees, staff, volunteers and strategic matters are for the committee. A matter might be viewed as strategic because it:
- Impacts on the organisation's relationships with stakeholders
- Is part of the longer term goals and plans
- Is requiring decision-making that impacts on the organisation's members
- Impacts on the organisation's viability or poses a risk to the organisation.
Some tools to assist delegation of tasks:
- Sample Delegation of Authority Policy
- Terms of Reference - Subcommittees