Social media is a growing phenomenon, which includes various online technology tools that enable people to communicate easily via the internet to share information and resources. Social media can include text, audio, video, images, podcasts, and other multimedia communications. Facebook and Twitter have become popular methods for club promotion however they do need to be used and managed appropriately.
Establishing a Facebook Page
Here's some ideas from other clubs using Facebook successfully:
- Make it clear to everyone what the purpose of the page is e.g. fixtures, club notices and that it must not be used for any other purposes
- Request an email address on your registration form and invite people onto your page
- Provide the page details to members on registration
- Appoint an administrator for the page, someone preferably who can keep an eye on it
- It is suggested to keep the person nominated anonymous so members don't use the page to communicate directly with this person
- Place you club logo as the image on the profile section
- Develop a Use of Technology policy to circulate to members - see sample
Facebook offers a fan page function where you can list club information, events, news, links and status updates to inform all club members who subscribe to the page. To create a Facebook official page click here and follow the prompts.
Twitter allows clubs to announce updates to all members who subscribe to the page as a follower. To create a Twitter account, click here and follow the prompts.